PresidentIsn’t it amazing that we have free access, 24/7, to information on just about any topic in a variety of formats to meet our needs?
The internet is powerful. As speakers we are investing time and money to figure out how to better leverage it to grow our businesses – how to expand our reach, increase profitability, or enhance our brand. But, did you realize how much free is also costing you?
How many times in the last 6 months have you NOT taken advantage of your CAPS membership because you thought you could find the information and value online, in less time, with less effort? For example, “I don’t need to attend that CAPS event on social media, because I can read about it for free online, from the comfort of my home.”
We are increasingly accustomed to being able to get what we want, when and how we want it. We are so busy trying to get busy, that our own professional development and networking is taking a back seat, and it’s costing us a fortune.
‘Free’ has given us the illusion of ‘more value’, and has distracted us from a basic human need – in-person, social connection and interaction. One of the top 3 ESSENTIAL needs reported by our CAPS members in the recent national survey was opportunities for “networking and other interactions to help members connect with each other.” So, here’s a reminder to help you re-claim the value of your membership.
Our local chapter events provide OPPORTUNITIES to connect with other members, guest speakers, and VIP guests. Here are just a few ways you can increase your engagement:
- Meet up with members before and/or after events
- Connect with or host out-of-town members
- Car pool to/from events
- Ask for a 10min mentor call, for help related to growing your business
- Sit beside someone new at an event
- Show up early to an event and offer to help greet new members and VIP guests
- Welcome our guest speakers
- Offer to host a meet-the-expert session
- Lead a mastermind group
- Host an impromptu gathering for CAPS members
- Ask for an introduction or referral through a colleague
- Welcome people at the front desk
- Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!
We changed the location of our monthly events to better meet the needs of our local Toronto members. Come early, stay later, and spend time getting to know members and connect with friends. The #1 question you’ll hear us ask is, “How can I help?”
To the Summit!